Jason and his wife Heather live in Oak Ridges. Their son, Benjamin, was born in August 2014.
Jason grew up in Richmond Hill, attending Crosby Heights Public School and Richmond Hill High School. He then went to the University of Toronto, where he earned an Honours Bachelor of Arts with a double major in Ethics, Society and Law, and History. Jason earned his law degree at Dalhousie University in Halifax and became a lawyer in 2006.
After finishing school, Jason moved back to Richmond Hill and opened his own law firm in Richmond Hill, Cherniak Law. He has trained two law students to be lawyers and he continues to employ one of them as a lawyer in his firm.
Jason is an active member of the Rotary Club of Richmond Hill. He is currently an Assistant District Governor responsible for four clubs in York Region and Simcoe County. Jason has been the chair of the Rotary TV Auction for three years now and, in that role, has raised over $130,000 for local charities and non-profits. Jason has also been the club lead in a tree planting program on the Oak Ridges Moraine, just off Old Colony Road, where approximately 300 elementary and high school students each year have planted over 10,000 trees.
Jason sits on the Board of Directors for the Richmond Hill Chamber of Commerce and Shadowpath Theatre Productions. He also volunteers for the Mackenzie Health Hospital Foundation and the Trinity College (University of Toronto) Corporation.
Jason was the president of the Richmond Hill Federal Liberals from 2006 to 2012. From 2009 – 2011, Jason was chair of the national Council of Presidents Renewal Committee.
From 2007 to 2012, Jason was the elected volunteer President of Ontario Central Region for the Liberal Party of Canada (Ontario) (“LPC(O)”), representing 18 ridings on the Management Committee. In that role, he travelled thousands of kilometers across York Region, Durham Region, Simcoe County, Haliburton and Peterborough to help local ridings organize and stay active during very difficult times for the Liberal Party. Jason organized the first ever Central Region meeting of Liberals in 2008 and these meetings are now organized in every region across the province at least once a year.
From 2012 – 2014, Jason was the elected Vice-President Communications of LPC(O). In that role, he helped riding associations across the province get ready to win so that we can beat the Harper government in the next election. Jason has also spoken at meetings across the province, produced manuals for riding associations on how to communicate effectively and ensured that the Toronto office is aware of communications issues.
Jason has been active at Liberal Party national conventions since 2003. He has passed many constitutional amendments, including some that ensure democratic accountability and reduced Young Liberal fees. In 2009, the chair referred to Jason as the “Constitutional Conscience of the Liberal Party”. In 2014, Jason introduced a policy calling for a National Transportation Strategy that he drafted and guided through the Liberal Party policy process. It was adopted as Priority Policy # 1.
- Married with one child
- Oak Ridges Home Owner and Resident
- Owns and operates Cherniak Law, based in Richmond Hill
- Dalhousie Law School – LL.B.
- University of Toronto – Honours B.A
- Double major in Ethics, Society and Law, and History
- Attended Crosby Heights Public School and Richmond Hill High School
Working for our Community
- Richmond Hill Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member, 2015 – Present
- Government Affairs Committee, 2013 – Present
- Richmond Hill Rotary Club
- District 7070 Assistant District Governor, 2015 – Present
- Chair of the TV Auction, 2012 – Present
- President, 2012 – 2013
- Shadowpath Theatre Productions
- Board Member, 2015 – Present
- Mackenzie Health Hospital Foundation
- Governance and Nominations Committee, 2015 – Present
- Trinity College (U of T) Corporation Year Representative, 2005 – Present
- Provides free legal advice to people in need, 2008 – Present
- Liberal Party of Canada (Ontario)
- VP Communications, 2012 – Present
- Central Region President, 2008 – 2012
- National Liberal Council of Presidents
- Chair of Renewal Committee, 2009 – 2012
- Richmond Hill Federal Liberals
- President, 2006 – 2012
- Founded Liblogs.ca, 2005
- Member of Young Liberal National Executive, 2003 – 2005